Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Roots & Recipes Interview - Pinakbet

Pinakbet Ilocano Style
Interview - August 29, 2009
Interviewer: Sharmaine Sebastian
Interviewee: Mother


Q: What is Pinkabet?
A: Pinakbet is a vegetable dish that I’ve had ever since I was a kid. It is very popular in the northern regions of the Philippines, including the place where I lived, which is Davila, Pasuquin, Ilocos Norte.

Q: What are your ingredients to making this dish?
A: The ingredients I use are SQUASH, STRING BEANS, OKRA (AKA LADY FINGERS), EGGPLANT, TOMATOES, BITTER MELONS, GINGER, GARLIC, FISH BAGOONG, PORK STRIPS, SHRIMP, WATER, VEGETABLE OIL. To season it I use salt and pepper.

Q: Is it tradition? If so, who started it?
A: Yes. I’m not sure who started it, but I learned it from my grandma.

Q: How long did it take you to master this dish?
A: Not long, it was very easy because I always used to watch my mom and grandma make it.

Q: What do you like about it? Why?
A: I’m not sure what I like about it. I guess I could say that I like everything because if I’m missing one of the ingredients, it wouldn’t really be Pinakbet.

Q: What or Who do you think of while making this dish?
A: I think of the Philippines and my grandparents.

Q: What reactions do you see when people first taste your dish? Do they look satisfied? Disappointed? Why do you think they react that way?
A: People react to my dish quite positively. They are happy with it and want to get up for seconds. I think they react that way because it probably reminds them of their home in the Philippines and they just enjoy the taste of it.

Q: What do you see or smell while making it?
A: I see vegetables being boiled in the pot and I smell the fish paste being mixed with the water.

Q: Do you use measuring utensils?
A: No, I never did in fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment