Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Roots & Reicpes - Essay Draft

My Mother's Pinakbet
By Sharmaine Sebastian

Usually every Monday, as I walk through the main door of my house, I hear the chopping of string beans, garlic, and ginger. And I knew that my mom would be cooking her favorite dish today, Pinkabet. I have to say that this is my favorite Filipino dish too, next to pancit.

I go to the kitchen, dropping all of my bags and books to the floor, smelling the aroma of squash, okra, eggplant, tomatoes, and bitter melons being boiled in bagoong. I used to hate that smell as a kid, but I got over it and learned to love it. My mother greets me with a sweet hello, and I smile back at her knowing that in about half an hour, those veggies would be melting in my mouth.

You know, I never did see my mom use measuring utensils before. And to this day, I’m still confused about how my mom would know when the food is done without a timer, or even how she would know that the taste is perfect, that it might need something to give it that zing.

I shuffle back and forth from my room to the kitchen. The sizzling bite-size pieces of pork that would soon be put into the pinakbet, were being sautéed in the frying pan. I saw my mother add a cup of water to the boiling pot. She lifted the cover and steam flew out of the pot, along with the different savory scents of the dish. I could already smell the garlic, ginger, and bagoong.

It is 5:30 p.m. and I had just finished all my homework. I attempt to distract myself from what awaits me at the dinner table. I hear my stomach growling. I try to stop it by eating a piece of bread, but it just wouldn’t keep quiet.

I help my grandma set up the dinner table (it was all part of the plan to distract myself). My mother goes to the stove, grabs the pot, and places it on the table. She tells me to call all of our family to come up and eat. I became so annoyed because they took forever to walk up the stairs.

We’re all together now and my grandma removes the top of the pot. “Yummy” was all I could think of as the sight of squash, string beans, okra, eggplant, tomatoes, bitter melons, and shrimp came into view. Each of us took spoonfuls and poured it on our plates. I could hear the sound of satisfaction from the people around me as I take a bite of the soft eggplant and the green string beans. It melted in my mouth like I knew it would. I tried to make my plate last because I knew that if I went back for seconds, there would be nothing in the pot when I get there.

Every time my mother makes pinakbet, I wonder if she’d teach me how to make it someday. I only helped her once, and only once! That kind of disappointed me because I knew that I could’ve done more than just wash the vegetables. I think the reason is that my mom is very, let’s say “protective” of her dish. I guess she didn’t want me to ruin it. But anyway, I know that she’s going to teach me how to make pinakbet. It’s a tradition and I’ll be sure to carry it on.

3 comments:

  1. SHARMAINE SEBASTIAN, your essay is so riveting & compelling! My mouth is literally watering & I wish I had some of that right now. You could use more sensory deatils, but good job(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHARMAINE! Wow, your essay draft is very detailed. When you talk about your mother making her Pinakbet, it shows how much she enjoys making it. I can see why it's her favorite dish to eat and cook.

    Your essay needs more specific detail about making the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharmaine,

    Nice job describing your favorite dish (next to pancit…you may want to delete that part as it is a bit distracting as your reader begins to wonder, why? why is this not as good as pancit, etc)

    Good details about the different vegetables that go into the dish…since you mention them at the beginning, perhaps you could describe them both at beginning and end…to show how they change when they are combined into the dish…and how they become “melt in your mouth” ingredients at the end. What happens between the time that they go into the pot and the time that the lid comes off and you guys dig in?

    I think the detail about your mom and how she is protective of her dish shows how important it is to her, but see if you can describe it in a more positive way, to end the essay in an upbeat manner. Let me know if you have questions on this part.

    Shannel and Janelle—be sure to provide specific examples for each of your comments. It’s not enough to tell your teammate that she did a good job; you need to show her where the strong points are. Shannel—accurate comment about needing more detail, but you need to be more specific in that comment. It would help to follow it up with questions that would guide Sharmaine. (notice the questions that I have asked her, above)

    mrs s

    ReplyDelete