Tuesday, September 14, 2010

College Essay Draft - Personal Statement

*NOTE: When I was writing this essay, I wrote it in an older perspective of me. So, please do no be alarmed in the first paragraph when you read "..and I didn't get a job until I was seventeen."


SPECIFICALLY, I'M AIMING FOR UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES.


*Prompt #1 (Freshman):

Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.


Suggestions for Prompt #1 (Freshman)

- The majority of your response should be the description of your world.

- While describing your world, don't forget to add how the world has influenced your development as a student, or as a person.


SOURCE: Click Here


Compared to my parents, I have lived a pretty easy life. I was born here in Hawaii, while they were born in the Philippines. They started working in the rice fields when they were around eight years old, and I didn't get a job until I was seventeen. Every time I hear their stories of labor, toil, and hardship in the Philippines, I feel ashamed at myself because compared to them, my problems were no more than mere teen angst. My mom and dad did receive an education and graduated from college with bachelor degrees, but they did not get the chance to pursue the careers they wanted in life. Because of that one true fact, I have become inspired by them to succeed in my academics and to persevere no matter what struggles may lie ahead.


My parents hold very high expectations for me. I sometimes feel pressured to be the perfect child. Sometimes, I even doubt that I could meet the standards that they have set for me. They always want me to be the most advanced in my class, be polite and courteous to others even when I don't know them, and be respectful to my elders. It's always "Yes, you can do this! No, you can't do that!" And it sometimes frustrates me because of course, we all know that there is no such thing as perfection. Although it may be a pain from time to time, I am grateful for their extraordinary confidence in me because without it, I wouldn't be motivated to strive for the goals I want myself to accomplish.


From my childhood until now, my mom and dad stress the importance of receiving high GPA's, enrolling into a prestigious college, and getting a good professional career. Being that they were really strict about my education, they were unsatisfied if my grades were lower than a B. When I was younger, I only did well in school just to make my parents happy because, in all honesty, I disliked school and learning. But as I grew and matured, I finally understood the reason for my parents strict emphasis dealing with my future. From that time on, every school year, I put my best effort to get A's in most, if not all, of my classes, and I tried to attain and maintain a 4.0 GPA. I did everything to the best of my abilities not just only for my parents, but also for my future and myself.


Now that I'm about to go off on my own and enter the real world, I understand fully the hard work and effort my parents did to instill in me the desire to be successful in not only school, but in life as well. Through my parents' discipline, I became an ambitious individual who has her mind set on what she wants and won't stop at anything to reach it.

3 comments:

  1. hey sharmaine!! ^__^
    i know im not suppose to comment on your but it seems like barely anybody posted theirs up xP can you comment mine after? :) thankyou!! :) okay, so lemme start by saying that you wrote a really nice essay :)

    Ideas:I think you can work on your ideas a little more and have more "showing" then "telling". Instead of telling us that your parents have high expectations and etc. explain an experience? :)

    Voice: Your voice was pretty good.. I can tell this is you because you do tend to strive for the best and it shows:) You also put in personal information that makes you unique:)

    Organization: I thought your essay flowed pretty well, there wasnt alot of jumping around and the concluding paragraph summarizes your essay well.

    Word Choice: Very effective word choices and you did a good job on keeping everything in the same tense:)

    Overall.. GOODJOB :) and good luck on your final.. Hopefully you can get into the college you want to go to cause I know you can do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sharmaine!

    Your essay is really well written. I could get a glimpse on your family background and how you come from a family that has many expectations. Your concept on "expectations in academics" is a good topic to work around with. Although talking a lot about academics is good to explain and such, i think you should focus on how your family shaped you personality wise. That way, the administrators can clearly see who you are instead of reading an essay about academics(probably everyone esle would write about that). Also write about your personality, not only expectations in academics. Overall, your essay alone is good. I can hear your voice really well because I could already tell what kind of background you come from. Your conclusion tops your essay off nicely.

    So that's it!
    -Traci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharmaine,

    Quick note: for some reason, I can't get to the source of your topic. Could you check that link? It would also be good to identify the college/university on the link as well. Thanks!

    Then, both your classmates have done a great job on their commentary. I think, however, that Maddie jumped the gun a bit in moving out of her group for commentary. When someone does this, it makes it more difficult for the people within both groups to complete their commentary.

    The comments from both Maddie and Traci were good ones. Maddie suggested more specific examples of the parent expectations that you mention, and I agree that this is good advice. Your intro is very specific as you contrast your parents' lives with yours. Try for similar specifics in the body of the essay as well.

    Traci suggests bringing in examples other than academics. I don't know that you'd have to change your examples completely, but I do agree that some examples in non-academic areas of your life would be good :)

    Lastly, you're doing a nice job on sentence fluency! I see several parallel series and some strong repetition...keep it up! One sentence, though, the first sentence in the last paragraph, could be reworked so that you don't have the structure "hard work and effort my parents did."

    Great job!
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete